Thursday, May 29, 2008

A junket

I'm into ILO readings these days. I'm doing this as part of my internship preps. On top of "virtually" familiarizing myself with my would-be workplace (at least for a couple of months), I have to read about some related literature: the Treaty of Versailles, the United Nations, labor rights and standards. As I'm not a newspaper and world history person, this is really challenging for me. I have to motivate myself to at least have a spark of interest about these things. It's a good thing that my husband is into these. He explains them like he's just teaching me how to cook scrambled eggs.

The International Labour Conference (ILC) is currently happening at the ILO, and of course, I'm keeping track of it as part of my "review". The ILC is an annual worldwide gathering of member states to craft and implement international labor standards. Each member state must send a delegation from the government (2 representatives), the employer sector, the worker sector, and then the advisers. I was curious as to who are the people sent there to represent the Philippines. Well, I wouldn't be surprised if our country will send a rather big party to sit up there, I know, but then again, the number astounded me! Thirty seven delegates! Personally, it was a government junket to me. Sa dami nilang 'yon, sana lang may ma-contribute silang kapaki-pakinabang sa labor and employment ng bansa natin.

I think my readings are working. I'm starting to get involved now.

No comments: