Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Swiss miss: Ultimate survivor



L-R: Scott, Mario, Kani and me

Last Monday and Tuesday, I had the chance to visit the WTO and the UN libraries, along with my co-interns here at the ILO library. I missed the WHO library visit, when in fact, WHO is the ILO's nearest neighbor (just across the street!). I had reference/reading room duty that morning that's why I wasn't able to join them.

Side story: All UN members (diplomats, employees, interns, etc.) carry their offices' badges, which is also an ID. The coolest thing about owning a badge (in my case, the ILO's) is that one can enter all UN offices in Geneva without going through the hassles of inspection. Just flash the badge before the security people, you get a nod and then you can go right in. Some of my colleagues even have lunch in other UN buildings' cafeterias.

Going back, the library visits were arranged by one of my co-intern's (Kani's) supervisor, as Kani's internship ends this week. I never had the chance to bond with my co-interns here, until this Monday, probably because my program/training is different from theirs. I'm the only intern who's done with school and has been practicing librarianship for ages, while they are working on an internship project which is probably thesis-/school-related. My office space is isolated from them, and I am treated as one of the regular staff. When I enter my "bat cave", I will never know what goes on outside.

I was too excited to finally get to spend time with my co-interns, only to find out that they are all leaving this month and I will be the only one left behind! Scott (USA) is leaving in 3 weeks, Mario (Spain) leaves tomorrow, Kani (Thailand) leaves this week, and Etienne (Switzerland, not in the photo) in two weeks time. I, on the other hand, still have October.

It's a shame that I didn't have the chance to get to know them, nor have lunch or coffee with them, after one month of being here *sighs*. Maybe a new set of interns will come next month. By then, I will only have weeks, but I will make sure that I build new friendships.

No comments: