Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Change the topic

I don't know but I just have it in me, and I didn't even notice that I've developed such a skill over time. Maybe because I pay attention to details, no matter how gibberish they are. Or it comes as an add-in -- like a happy meal toy -- to being obsessively compulsive?

It's my classic trait that whenever my attention span expires, I can somehow shift from one indulgence to another. It gets so automatic that for most instances, I get lost in the way (read: where were we? we were talking about...). What surprises me is that different people, even those from far-flung continents (and I am not exaggerating) whom I've had the opportunity to rub elbows with, from close friends to mere acquaintances, tend to notice this characteristic. That if there's one day that they can all convene and gather around in one table, my guess is that they can only whip up one sentence to describe this side of me: a walking diversion.

No, I honestly don't do it intentionally, or if and when I do, I could be leisurely caught red-handed if you're inherently queer. It troubles me at times, as if it's a gift (or a curse) that's uncalled for. But if and when I sense that pattern of being sidetracked (especially whenever I get so consumed at something), I would allow my company the liberty to give me that sought-after hard tap on the shoulder to snap me out of it and bring me back to earth. That way, I wouldn't have a toilsome time finding my way back to where I was from the beginning.

There are benefits to changing topics (that I've enjoyed myself) along the way, though. To name a few (and the list can grow longer):

(1) It offers even more subjects to talk about
(2) It saves your face just when you're being put in hot water
(3) It transmits signals of your disinterest about something, and get away with it


Disadvantages:

(1) It makes your face all worn-out from talking
(2) It gets annoying
(3) It traps you in a labyrinth that you yourself conjured up


*Sigh!*

It's not my grand ambition to become a mistress of diversions. And so I would love to take that hard shoulder-tap whenever necessary.

All right. Change topic…

No comments: