Sunday, July 17, 2005

U.P. fight!!!

"Are we winning?! Are we? Are we?"

The very last time I was ever into basketball games was in 6th grade, when my classmates cheered for their favorite players (not necessarily because these boys were good at the sport, but PRIMARILY because they're cute and appealing), while me and my Dad screamed at the TV whenever our team gets fouled, as if it's possible to strangle that bald referee (remember that bald guy in the early '90s?).

[sidebar: I have this ill manner of shutting off the TV just when the game is in its final minutes! I couldn't contain the excitement!]

When the UAAP opened its 68th season this year, most (to my knowledge) of us from the university were in a way, resolved that U.P.'s basketball team wouldn't make it, as usual (Just in this particular sport, I mean. We're the team to beat in other categories). But as of late, they've been remarkably displaying progress! They're on top!

[sidebar: For the record, we're used to seeing U.P.'s basketball team at the loser's bracket]

Last weekend, I caught U.P.'s pit game against De La Salle (defending champion) with Vincent and his brothers in their apartment. While all of them yelled with all their might, I was up and about, restless. I went to the toilet, peeped on the TV, cleared up their sink, peeped in again, walked to and fro, occasionally asking the guys what's been happening. I looked stupid...until I heard them say that we've won!

Will we make it? It's too early to predict now.

We're scouting for tickets for the next game ;-)






No comments: