Saturday, September 10, 2005

Being lethargic

While sticking around for a dose of an Anatomical Travelogue episode on TV, my cousin – the same jazz buff (see related post) who also happens to be a grade school teacher – and I swapped handful bits of trivial information, which was indeed mind-stimulating [sidebar: I truly appreciate such brief discussions; brief in the sense that we seldom have times like these. We both miss catching up on each other as we are always on the go almost all week long]. Last night, our topic was about mosquitoes. Her pop quiz was that according to one of her readings, Egyptian mosquito bites tend to inject lethargic moods towards its recipients. Those made me reflect for a while.

So that's the keyword: lethargy(ic). No, I was not bitten by an Egyptian mosquito, much less by any of its local counterpart (which could afflict dengue fever if you're lucky). But I have been trying to figure out how to describe, in one word, my mood since the week began. Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines the term "lethargy" as the quality or state of being lazy, sluggish, or indifferent. Another entry by the Webster's Online Dictionary meant lethargy as inactivity, or showing an unusual lack of energy. Put these two definitions together and you'll get my disposition for the week.

Initially, I was thinking along the lines of melancholy or boredom; but I knew that those were just effects of some cause I have yet to find out what or why. There were even moments when I felt like wailing in hysteria for some unknown reason. However for most instances, I was a befitting snob. An unbearable brat. Or a witch with a capital B. Oh, no. I beg to disagree that I'm going nuts.

I just wish for this week to end. Better yet, I pray that beginning tomorrow – a brand new week – this mood won't be carried over.

No comments: