Monday, November 07, 2005

Miscellanea

Some random thoughts.

I skipped blogging for a while to make room for a bit of "scholastic writing". The sem ended three weeks ago and as the new one sets right in next week, I need to take serious business of my thesis. If I'm not careful, my thesis might end up sounding like a compilation of blog entries. And that wouldn't seem like graduate school, would it?


--o0o--


One time last week, Vincent and I passed by one slum area on a confined lane on our way out (to main road) and as always, exchanged observations along the way. On days like this, we'd make use of our stock of synonyms in order to steer clear of causing offense to whoever might overhear our small discourse. Vincent's contribution that day was, "When a conflagration breaks out here, they wouldn't appreciate those flashy SUVs they or their neighbors own." "What does conflagration mean?", I queried. "Weren't you into high school journalism?", he gushed. "Tell me about it, I'm no writer.", was my casual reply. "Well in my high school, profound words are often used to transform non-controversial articles into controversial materials...conflagration is just another term for fire." What do you know? A one-syllable word could grow into four syllables overnight. Hehehe. Word play.


--o0o--


An officemate talked me into buying a small bottle of virgin coconut oil. Though the product has no therapeutic claims whatsoever, I still purchased the product anyway, for 2 reasons: (1) additional sale for my vendor; and (2) to test its "nut powers". The bottle stood for days since the first day I brought it home, until at long last I found out that my cousin was actually taking spoonfuls of it for two days now. Last night, I tried spooning one after dinner (the brochure says take one tablespoonful after every meal). Blech!!! Minutes later, I headed for the john.


--o0o--


I couldn’t get over those nice copper-brown loafers I fitted in Mendrez (shoes shop) last weekend. It was a cheap pair and yet I resisted so much not to bag it in, considering I had (read: past tense of have) extra cash to shell out at that time. And now, I’m on my knees, wishing that those were not the last pair on stock. Never mind the “new arrivals” sign posted just above it.

--o0o--


Kaloy's (my 4-year-old nephew) fondness of playing cars with me boosted up into a regular 6 o'clock habit, forcing me to quietly sneak into my room at times, especially when I'm so dead beat from work and couldn't afford to spare some time for play. Lately, this boy's been giving me a peek into motherhood and oh heavens, it's one noble calling indeed. Our little recreation made me contemplate as to what kind of a mother would I be (given that I would become a mother) in the near future, thinking how tough it would be, now that I'm just being an aunt to a nephew. Maybe motherly instincts will apply when I get there.

No comments: