Monday, January 16, 2006

TagLish: some lessons learned

We Filipinos are so used to speaking "hybrid" Tagalog almost everyday of our lives that we unconsciously let pass grammatical rules. I mean, it is bound to be grammar insensitive (sinasabotahe na nga natin ang dalawang wika e), but lately, I have become mindful about this; at least at my own perusal. Been guilty of murdering two languages simultaneously. I figured that maybe, I can correct word agreement/s in TagLish.

[DISCLAIMER: I am not being prescriptive here. I maybe wrong somewhere but as far as I am concerned, these observations have earned me positive effects. Mine are just suggestions.]

Talking from experience (of a convicted murderer of Tagalog and English), I learned that should you combine a Tagalog superlative with an English noun/verb/adjective, you should want to retain the base form (i.e., root word) of the English word. For instance, instead of saying "pinaka-latest" (i.e., latest), you might want to use "pinaka-late". Or when using Tagalog in comparative form, retaining the English root word wouldn't be ear-grating. For example, "mas clear" (i.e., more clear) instead of "mas clearer".

Another thing is using Tagalog prefixes along with English verb tense/s (past, present, future). I suppose retaining the present tense of the English verb would be the best option when combined with a Tagalog prefix. Such as "na-overhear" (i.e., overheard) in place of "na-overheard". The former sounds better that way. The same rule applies to suffixes. We are more comfortable with "attend-an" (i.e., had attended) and we do not use "attended-an" for that matter.

Bottom line is: whatever Tagalog prefix/suffix you append, the base form of the English word stays as it is.

So much for grammar talk.

No comments: