Saturday, August 06, 2005

A recovered granada

The Best of Gary Granada

As I cramp in my seat (which was more of like a space that's just enough to hold my butt) inside a public taxi on my ride back home from the mall (I went there to pay my phone bills, not exactly to go malling for convenience) one wet Tuesday evening, I was for a moment entranced by a familiar tune being played by manong's (taxi driver) FM radio. It was a Gary Granada original, but revived by a local who's who alternative band.

Remaking vintage songs has been the trend in Philippine music for the longest time. Given that, I've grown very finicky (even critical) when it comes to renditions, especially those immortal songs whose artists are lauded for their creativity and ingenuity.

Kung Ika'y Wala (if you're gone) was the Granada song that that who's who band (I have yet to find out who they are or who he/she is) re-engineered, and I can say that for me, they've done justice to the song.

I found myself groping for its lyrics, until it finally dawned on me that I actually have Granada albums buried somewhere in my room. Not only have I recovered the materials, my passion for Granada's music was unearthed once more. His was a musical artistry that's truly Filipino -- soulful, poetic and warm.


KAPAG SINABI KO SA IYO 1994*
----------------------------------------------
Words & Music by GARY GRANADA



Kapag sinabi ko sa iyo na ika'y minamahal
(Whenever I tell you that I love you)

Sana'y maunawaan mo na ako'y isang mortal
(Please understand that I am mortal)

At di ko kayang abutin ang mga bituin at buwan
(I cannot reach out for the stars and the moon)

O di kaya ay sisirin perlas ng karagatan
(Or dive for the pearls of the seas)



Kapag sinabi ko sa iyo na ika'y iniibig
(Whenever I tell you that I love you)

Sana'y maunawaan mo na ako'y taga-daigdig
(Please understand that I am from this world)

Kagaya ng karamihan, karaniwang karanasan
(Just like the rest, an ordinary experience)

Daladala kahit saan, pang-araw-araw na pasan
(Carried everywhere, an everyday burden)


Ako'y hindi romantiko, sa iyo'y di ko matitiyak
(I am not a romantic, to you I cannot guaratee)

Na pag ako'y kapiling mo kailanma'y di ka iiyak
(That when you are with me, you will never cry)


Ang magandang hinaharap sikapin nating maabot
(A bright future, let's make it happen)

Ngunit kung di pa maganap, sana'y huwag mong ikalungkot
(But until then, I hope you'll not be saddened)


Kapag sinabi ko sa iyo na ika'y sinisinta
(Whenever I tell you that you are cherished)

Sana'y yakapin mo akong bukas ang iyong mga mata
(I wish that you'll embrace me with your eyes open)

Ang kayamanan kong dala ay pandama't kamalayan
(The riches I bear are emotions and wisdom)

Na natutunan sa iba na nabighani sa bayan
(That I have learned from those enthralled by the world)


Halina't ating pandayin isang malayang daigdig
(Let's journey to the unchained world)

Upang doon payabungin isang malayang pag-ibig
(And there let's nurture a love that's free)

Kapag sinabi ko sa iyo na ika'y sinusuyo
(Whenever I tell you that you are adored)

Sana'y ibigin mo ako, kasama ang aking mundo
(I wish that you'll love me, together with my world)



________
*My apologies for the English translation, should you find it poorly done. That's all I can come up with :-)



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine,

Not many people really know Gary Granada's works. I was introduced to his music way back in high school, and I was hooked then ever since, he is really a remarkable singer and a song writer. It nice to know people who appreciate his music. He will be having a benefit gig this coming Sept. 29 at 70's Bistro with Cookie Chua; you might what to check it out....

http://www.clickthecity.com/food/fooddetails.asp?reid=357&brid=169

Christine said...

Hi, Ogz. Thanks for the info. Too bad, I wasn't able to catch this one on time. Di bale, sa susunod.