Thursday, August 11, 2005

Umbrella with a purpose

Even though I was running a bit late for an appointment, I still decided to take a walk along one side of the academic oval (of the university) at a hurried pace. Despite the light rain and icky puddles, I figured that a little breeze walking wouldn't hurt at all. And besides, a jeepney ride would take me a while to get to my point of destination, not to mention I didn't have pennies for change to afford one. Walking perhaps was the best decision that I've ever made today (next to oversleeping).

Along the avenue a guy heading towards me from the opposite end, interrupted my brief leg exercise. He was looking for a "bar" which he claimed is located somewhere in the campus. Initially, I was so tempted let out a tiny jab of sarcasm and break to him the tragic news that he happens to be inside a university campus, and that the last time I checked, the word "bar" – to mean a social establishment – does not exactly appear in the institution of higher education's jargon (much to the disappointment of after-school party people; the prefix 'after' sometimes even dropped). But because of the I’m-lost-please-help look written all over his face, plus him soaked up in the rain to complete this melodramatic episode, I couldn't help but shift from being sarcastic to sympathetic. And since I'm also a librarian, I opted to make myself useful to him. Duty called, I heeded.

For a moment there I was like an investigator interrogating a prime suspect. Finally, I gathered where he needed to go (and I was still apprehensive whether or not there really is a bar in that building). I told him he could walk with me as I was also headed on the same route. He took the chance and the free umbrella. Suddenly, I've got instant company.

It turned out to be a not-so-awkward walking situation for the two of us. Michael (yes, I asked for his name after I offered mine) was cordial and I can carry a casual conversation with any new acquaintance, so we didn't have any lulls as we take refuge under my umbrella. From our trivial exchanges, I learned that he's majoring in Music Composition, which I found interesting. I guess he found me interesting too, because when I told him that I'm a Library and Information Science (LIS) degree-holder, a college librarian, and am still pursuing graduate studies in the same field, I think I saw him giving me that side-long glance, cross-checking my get-up (jeans, trainers and backpack – my Thursday attire) as against what I'm pronouncing myself to be. He later uttered, "Marami talagang kakaibang kurso sa eskwelahang ito. Sa Music nga, may Music Research! Ano kayang pag-aaralan dun??!" (There really are so many unique courses in this school. In (the College of) Music, they offer Music Research! What could they be studying there??!) I just gave him a wan smile.

We were engaged in talkies until we reached my end of the road. He had to continue on 'til he finds his "bar", alone and umbrella-less. I directed him to turn around the corner not too far from where I halted, count two buildings to his right, and there he'll hit his spot. He thanked me and then went on his way.

I was still late for my rendezvous.

1 comment:

vonjobi said...

oops, sorry, i think i got my signals crossed. you're an LIS student and a librarian. do you want a correction? =)