Friday, August 26, 2005

More songs


My head is flooded with so many things I want to write about, but I thought of publishing this first. This one’s the sequel to my previous post about theme songs.

Fixing a Broken Heart (Indecent Obsession). Chemistry Lab, 3rd semester in college. While flaming up the test tube over the bunsen burner and playing it smart, a group mate laid a torn sheet of note paper with the lyrics of this song scribbled on it. My group just sang our experiment away. I passed laboratory, but had serious problems with my lecture class.

Leaving on a Jet Plane (Peter, Paul and Mary). One project we had in 6th grade music class was lip-synching cum artist(s) impersonation. I found myself glued to two of my classmates, as I didn't want to jeopardize my class marks should I go solo. I don't exactly know who I imitated, but it was definitely not Mary. Being a '70s trio, I asked Mama for her bell-bottom pants. That was the longest 10 minutes of my life.

My Heart Will Go On and Death of the Titanic (OST-Titanic). I remember playing this soundtrack while working inside the archives of an old film studio (my previous job). One splicing editor who kept on coming and going to pick up canisters from the vault couldn't contain his annoyance anymore, he finally said, "'Di pa ba lumulubog 'yan?! (has it sink yet?!)". The cassette player was in auto-reverse. :-)

Million Miles Away (Joey Albert). Grade school. This was a favorite among the popular girls in my batch in school. Somehow, there was this unwritten rule (I didn't know where it came from) that once a song's been sung by one, it becomes her property and no one else can claim it. Good thing fame and peer pressure didn't go up to my head at that age. It always feels good to sing the songs that I want to sing!

Let's Get Loud (Jennifer Lopez). Next song please...

Stripped (Depeche Mode). Aside from Somebody and Just Can't Get Enough, this was the third Depeche Mode song I've ever came across with in my 19 years on the face of the planet. I helped Manuel transcribe its lyrics and if you're doing it for a couple of hours, no matter how much you hate the song, it still could grow on you.

Love Changes Everything (Climie Fisher). Vincent and his '80s and '90s music obsessions. I recall being disappointed when he said that the file was too big to attach in his e-mail and couldn't send it to me. So when at last I had the chance, this was the first song I've put in my MP3 player. I just love this song.

Time is on Our Side and Step by Step (New Kids On The Block). Junior and senior high. Looking back, I could just laugh now at how cheesy I was back then. I had NKOTB posters on my bedroom wall, NKOTB organizer, complete set of NKOTB albums in cassettes, and a biographical book of NKOTB. In school I even proclaimed that I'm Joe (now, Joey) McIntyre's girlfriend! Creepy. I'm just so relieved that that NKOTB stage is over.

How Do I Live (Trisha Yearwood/Leann Rimes). 1997. Rizal Library, Ateneo de Manila. Just as I was so bored to death in cataloging those American historical materials (FYI: it was brain-draining), this song had the power to stop my clock for about 4 or 5 minutes.

Total Eclipse of the Heart (Bonnie Tyler). Music class in 2nd grade. My teacher probably thought that all 8-year-olds are potential divas, so she required each student to sing before her class in that dreaded platform. I prepared for this event for about a week. I belted out this song like my fate in 3rd grade depends on it.

Heal the World (Michael Jackson). I loathed our class president in senior high for making us rehearse this song like a broken record twice a day for a school-opening program. I had this huge balloon hovering in my head with a picture of planet earth full of band-aids and a caption that goes, "Hey, look! The world has recuperated. Whatever happened to Billy Jean??"

Iisa (Gary Granada). Charo made me swear I'm going to sing this song at her wedding. I told her I'm going to do it because I love her and that it's a Granada. I couldn't refuse her and so I did sing the song on her wedding day. Unlike my milestone wedding song, I didn't put a monkey wrench in the works this time around. I only suffered from suffocation by wearing that silver-grey silk dress.

Estoy Aqui (Shakira). The first Spanish song I ever attempted memorizing. I would sing this while bumming at the Brussels metro. Orlando said, "Oh, there goes Shakira!...after a terrible car accident."

How Could It Be? (Eddie Murphy). How could I forget this?!!! I hated my cousin for days (see related post).

Shiny Happy People (REM). Plus all other REM songs. What kept me nailed on my seat during my train ride to Amsterdam. Too nailed, even responding to the WC's (pronounced as 'wi-si', their version of the CR) call wasn't permissible.

As Still as a Photograph (Cacai Velasquez). Reminds me of my library sojourn around Manila for my undergrad thesis data gathering (thanks to electronic means, I don't have to do this all over again for my graduate research). I'd chance upon this song whenever I hop into jeepneys and memorized it in a jiffy.

I know for sure there are still more songs. But for the meantime, let me just allow other ideas to flow from my head.

1 comment:

igor said...

hehehe. Those last three songs on your list seem okay. How could it be kung senti, rem rocks, cacai rocks too! hehehe... O_O;;