Friday, August 15, 2008

Swiss miss: Geneva, PHILIPPINES

Once again, I am congratulating myself for surviving yet another workweek, and another week crossed out of my waiting calendar! Yey! Vincent and I are also celebrating our eight months together today as a married couple. Although miles and miles apart, still we hug!

Weather here has been unfriendly these past days and I'm quite sure it will be in the days to come. When it rains, it means cold temperature the day after. I would print out weather forecasts weekly just to tell me when to and when not to bring an umbrella (By the way, I don't own one. I nick my housemate’s. Hehehe). I feel that summer is about to end, though. I would always check on the leaves of the trees outside of my room window and see if they're turning yellow everyday. 'Pag nagdilaw na sila, ang tuwa 'ko lang. It will mean that autumn is just around the corner, therefore I have survived one month in this costly city. And when the heaters are fired up on all floors of the apartment building, it will tell me that it's October and just a few weeks more of waiting, I'll be finally coming home.

This week was rather exciting. I was able to find the only Filipino merchandise store in Geneva. When you enter the store, you are suddenly transported back to Manila. Maingay sa loob as fellow Pinoys exchange chit-chats, even if they are strangers to each other. They also offer money transfer service to the Philippines, so most Pinoys go there to send money back home. They also have a huge TV overhead where they show TFC programs. I was there for two straight days to accompany a friend (she's actually the one who took me there), and while waiting for her, I was watching Iisa Pa Lamang. Hehehe.

Since it has no competitors, ginto lahat ng presyo sa tindahang ito. But I didn't care. Thanks to this store, I had tuyo for breakfast this morning, I would have a teaspoonful of bagoong on my plate everytime I have dinner, I will have gata for my vegetables and will cook ginisang munggo this weekend! Haaay, ang sarap.

Oh, and the UP Singing Ambassadors will have their concert here on September 8th. I once sat down for lunch with a fellow UP alumna (who's a regular ILO employee) in the cafeteria this week. Pareho kaming nagbabaon ng lunch.

He said he misses UP. I told him, "Lalo na 'ko".

No comments: