Friday, August 01, 2008

Swiss miss: Surviving Geneva

I'm alive! After almost 20 hours of long haul, I'm here. Today is my fourth day in expensive Geneva (and I mean really expensive) and my first day at work at the ILO Library. But obviously no, I am not working. How's that for my first day? 'Wag tularan.

I actually went here yesterday just to be sure I won't get lost in my way on my first day and then get the feel of the place. Almost everybody here wears coat and tie, despite the scorching heat outside. Yes, summer is in its peak but because I came here overly prepared for the cold weather, I am to wear my turtle necks to work everyday beginning today. But right now, it's raining outside and as it is the classic me, I have no umbrella. There's a storm coming, I was told. Seems that I brought Cosme and Frank with me to Switzerland ('di tulad ninyo ni SA, Emang!).

Today is Swiss National Holiday. All offices and establishments are closed, EXCEPT for the dakilang International Labour Organization, although most people here in the Library, even my supervisor, are on a holiday. My supervisor left me with some readings, though. My other focal person gave me a tour of the Library and introduced me to some 15+ staff members but because of my faulty memory, I can only recall 4 names with the correct faces. I was shown into MY office, complete with PC, printer, phone, and soon, a name in MY door. Now that is overwhelming. But what overwhelms me more is the bulk of work laid for me. REALLY. I was told that by my mid-term, I will be a part of the team to revise the ILO Library's indexing and thesaurus guidelines. Whoah! I was blown away! Makes me not want to go back next week. Hehehe.

How am I doing really? The work, I can handle. But the loneliness whenever I enter my apartment room is unbearable. Add to that is the agony of seeing the airport everyday (as that is my bus stop to ride another bus to the ILO), giving me the feeling that I am sending off people back home while I stay behind, EVERY SINGLE DAY. I live just four short bus stops from the airport and I can see planes flying off every five minutes from our balcony (see photo). The balcony is my least favorite part of the apartment.

I want to go home.

No comments: