Friday, August 08, 2008

Swiss miss: It's Frrrriiiidaaaayyy!!!

As the common expression here goes...Voila! I have Friday Madness on my computer. It's good to feel like I'm home. If it weren't for Magic, I wouldn't even realize that today is 080808, the opening of the Beijing Olympics, and lots of weddings taking place (good feng sui they say). Right now, it's almost 11PM in the Philippines while it's nearly 5PM here.

I go to work eight to five, but because I had an extended lunch break (I got together with new Pinay friends to send off another Pinay as her internship ends today), I should leave at around thirty-forty minutes past five. People respect the honor system so much here, at work and on public transport. Coming from an office where a bundy clock is god, this is something else. No one watches me from behind. I owe it all to the bundy clock training, though. My feet lead me to my office when I should be working.

Going back to the subject, I never really looked forward to weekends when I'm out of the country. In fact, I DREAD weekends here. It only means I need to work up a plan for me to get out of the apartment and let the days pass. Maybe ride several buses the whole day around town and walk back home, if only to kill time. But this weekend is not a problem for me. It's the culmination of Fetes de Genève (Geneva Festival). Lots of happenings going on around the edge of Lake Geneva. They say the fireworks are spectacular. I'll be going with my new Pinay friend I met here at the ILO.

I have a strong feeling that I'm going to be excited every Friday beginning today. It means I've survived five days equals one week scrapped off my waiting calendar. I also have a feeling that a wonderful surprise is in store for me in the weeks to come. I'm keeping the expectation :)

Happy weekend, people!

No comments: