Friday, August 29, 2008

Swiss miss: 32 days and counting



My 2nd abonnement. I'm done with month 1! I liiiiiiiive!!!

And then I never thought I would even survive!

What a roller coaster of a month it has been for me. When I first entered my apartment room in July, I was totally disoriented. I didn't know what to do next. Unpack? Sleep? Eat? I ended up curling in bed, still wearing that airplane smell, crying while cuddling Mumuy. The silence of my room was deafening. After all the sulking and drama, I later decided to unpack, take a bath and then wait for my flatmate to take me to the nearest mall (not as big as what we have in the Philippines, of course) to go get my abonnement (transport ticket renewable every month) and buy some food. I remember how flabbergasted I was the first time I saw the soaring prices of goods. I don't even remember buying a box of rice (at the International Foods section). Maybe I did get one, I'm not so sure.

The following day, my grumbling stomach woke me up at 3am -- 9am Philippine time. I got up and ate my very early breakfast at 3am! I went back to bed afterwards but got up again at 6am -- 12nn Philippine time. I had lunch at 6am.

As I've finished breakfast and lunch at 6am, I had nothing else to do. I wanted to explore the city since owning my abonnement. With my flatmates still drowsing in bed, I got dressed and readied myself to go out. Then the unthinkable happened: I couldn't open the main door. There was some sort of a trick with the key which I couldn't figure out. Fifteen minutes or so later, I managed to open it and then spent another fifteen minutes to lock it back but I couldn't do it. So I left and whistled away, leaving the door open to predators...Another hurdle was the main door of the apartment building. Again I tried but I couldn't get it open! I ended up hitting number 3 in the elevator, and then I'm back to where I started. My flatmates later taught me the twisting stuff with the key but couldn't believe I was that stupid not to get the building's main door open.

That was a month ago. Now I'm cherishing my second abonnement, staring lovingly at 29.09.2008. Soon it will be 29.10.2008 and then that will be the last. No more one month renewal because I will then be heading back home!

I'm still jetlagged, by the way. Not with sleep, though (I fell down twice from my bed on my first week subconsciously thinking it was our wide bed back home) but with my eating schedule. On weekends, I still get up at 6am, no matter how sleepy I am, just to have "lunch".


No comments: